Understanding Epistaxis: Causes, Symptoms, and Emergency Measures
Nasal Bleeding is called as Epistaxis
Its causes are infection, injury, allergic reaction, nose picking, or an object being pushed into the nostril.
Spontaneous ( little area bleeding )
Vessel defect etc..
Few more causes
Topical nasal spray
Vascular malfunction cardiovascular diseases
It’s to be taken care and it’s a sign of emergency if
- Mode of Onset
- Duration and frequency of bleeding
- Amount of blood loss
- Whether bleeding is an Anterior & posterior
- Any known Bleeding tendency in the patient or Family history
- Side of Nose from where bleeding is occurring
- History of known Medical ailments like BP, Leukemia, Mitral valve disease, Cirrhosis, Nephrite
- History or drug intake
Measures to stop the bleeding
- Sit upright and lean head slightly forward
- Breathe through your mouth
3.use your thumb and index finger to pinch the soft part of your Nose
- Apply an ice pack to the bridge of your Nose
Consult your doctor immediately if you cannot stop the bleeding and it lasts more than 15 Minutes.